Click on the images to learn more about the individual members of our team.
Chris founded PublicCo after a decade of leading Reed in Partnership. He has since led strategic projects for a number of clients in including Shaw Trust where he was interim CEO and worked on their merger with CDG. He has delivered organisational reviews for companies such as Interserve Working Futures and CSV and has led strategic development work for a diverse range of businesses, including G4S and Campbell Page in Australia. He is now utilising his significant global experience to build the business from PublicCo’s New York office.
Chris’s key achievements include:
- Founding PublicCo
- Developing and running the profitable delivery of a £100m business with operations in the UK, Europe and Australasia. This included strategic diversification into the skills and business support sectors and the leadership of 1500 employees
- Director of Business Link Yorkshire, responsible for the UK’s largest business support contract
- Chairman of London Skills Brokerage, a joint venture responsible for the delivery of Train to Gain and other skills brokerage across London
- Interim CEO of Shaw Trust turning around a loss making business and leading the organisation in a merger with CDG
Joel has been with PublicCo since 2012, taking up his current position as Chief Executive in 2015. He spent 13 years at KPMG, where he trained and qualified as a Chartered Accountant. Joel has significant experience of developing robust, evidence-based business cases for policy, programme and procedural reform. He has worked with a wide range of private, voluntary and public sector organisations. This includes acting as interim CEO for an arm’s-length government body, working as a consultant within the Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit and as an Assistant Director at the UK Commission for Employment and Skills. Joel has also been an external Governor of Westminster Kingsway College since 2011 and as Chair of the Audit Committee since 2013.
Joel’s key achievements include:
- Developing the strategy and operating model for an innovative training agency to help support the delivery of a £16bn infrastructure project to time and budget
- Leading a review of national insurance and social security arrangements in a UK crown dependency to address significant projected expenditure shortfalls in a £650 million fund
- Leading an assessment of the cost recovery basis of premises licence fees for local authorities
- Working with the Ministry of Labor to develop a strategy to create greater employment opportunities for disabled individuals in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Leading a review of employment and skills policies across Great Britain to drive improved outcomes from the employment and skills systems
Stephen joined PublicCo after 10 years in the senior civil service. Stephen is a senior leader with both public and private sector experience. He has 14 years of experience working on employment issues and related areas, such as social exclusion and disability. Stephen has a strong track record in developing strategy and policy, and translating policy into effective implementation. He also has extensive experience of leading major projects and programmes, leading large teams, delivering organisational change and advising government ministers and senior management.
Stephen's key achievements include:
- Leading the development of policy white papers relating to employment, skills and welfare
- Establishing the UK Commission for Employment and Skills
- Developing a new organisation design and senior structure for DWP
- Leading the development and implementation of long-term government strategies for disability equality and for reducing greenhouse gas emissions from heat
- Advising the Spanish Ministry of Labour and Immigration in Madrid
Director of Business Development
Anne is a highly experienced Business Development professional with extensive expertise across all aspects of the business development cycle including: capture planning, proposition development, bid management at scale, commercial management and people leadership. Anne has had a great deal of success in her career prior to joining PublicCo. She has led her team to excel against a challenging revenue target (£30m of new sales within 18 months) and on a personal level, progressed from a graduate researcher to be one of the youngest Directors in NCG.
Anne has completed a number of professional qualifications. Her key achievements include:
- Achieving contract wins with major government departments including Department of Work and Pensions (Work Programme £100m contract win), Skills Funding Agency (£60m win), Welsh Assembly Government (£20m win), Skills Development Scotland (annual £10m win) as well as Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Defence (shortlisted for major competitions including £250m Career Transition Partnership which we later withdrew)
- Delivered on major strategic partnership activity for NCG including securing accounts with the Ministry of Justice, HSE, Haven and Santander and complex supply chain formation for delivery of education contracts
- Led on the introduction of best in class business development techniques and capabilities including: account management, capture planning, thought leadership and operating model design within NCG to improve the success of business development in light of a changing funding landscape
Fran is a focussed and socially aware professional with expertise in strategic planning, education, training and business. She formulates innovative, pragmatic solutions and responds positively to challenges to generate effective solutions. Fran is articulate and an empathetic communicator. She is a strong leader who develops cohesion and a sense of identity and purpose through the identification and encouragement of individual and group potential.
Fran’s key achievements include:
- Chair of ERSA from 2007 – 2009
- Member of the Merlin Standard Advisory Board formed by DWP to support sector adherence to the DWP Code of Practice
- Chair of a voluntary consortium of organisations representing employers seeking to work collectively to find solutions and create a labour market that works for the economy
- Leading on the professionalism of the welfare to work sector, culminating in the design of accreditation frameworks for operational and management staff, and the creation of the Institute of Employability Professionals
- Working closely with senior DWP, BIS and DCLG civil servants and politicians to assist them in creating synergies across departmental policy and funding streams
Andy has over 30 years’ experience of working successfully across the public, private and third sectors. He is an influential leader with strong business development skills, who sets out clear strategy and translates this into effective delivery actions. Since 2012, Andy has been leading projects in Saudi Arabia as an employment programmes subject matter expert. He has helped to develop, commission and launch new employment programmes for jobseekers with disabilities. He has also worked to effect improvements in service quality and performance of the growing network of Job Placement Centers across the Kingdom.
Andy’s key achievements include:
- Leading and managing a team of over 750 people delivering a range of employment programmes that found work for over 45,000 long term unemployed people across the UK
- Establishing a small business development team that bid for and won £18 million of new business against fierce competition from substantially bigger organisations
- Developing, procuring and implementing a new specialist employment programme supporting thousands of disabled first time jobseekers in Saudi Arabia, leading presentations to Ministers and working on wider policy work to support a transformational culture change
- Transforming the performance of an employment programme for disadvantaged unemployed in Saudi Arabia, increasing performance by over 100% in the first 6 months
- Providing essential bid support and substantial guidance to win over £12.5m of new health and mental health support contracts.
- In 2015 conducted a 2 month employment programme strategic and operational review for large provider. Produced interim & final report with a range of recommendations all accepted and implemented by the Board.
Sue is a highly skilled, influential director with strong operational experience across the welfare to work and skills sectors. Sue is a Director of the London Work Based Learning Alliance and has comprehensive experience of transforming the performance of failing contracts to yield profit and above target outcomes. By putting the customer at the heart of programme delivery, Sue ensures both quality and outcomes are improved. She also has extensive experience of restructuring job roles to create stronger, more motivated and more productive teams. Sue understands how to transfer strategy into operational delivery, to achieve organisational aims and continuously improve delivery.
Sue’s key achievements include:
- Introducing a new customer journey and revised organisation structure for a Work Programme Prime, leading to improved job outcomes and improved league table position
- Developing and implementing a new organisation structure with associated cost savings for a national skills provider
- Opening five new centres for Aspire Achieve Advance and increasing turnover from £8m to £17m
- Integrating separate operating units into one organisation following a merger, leading to a ‘one organisation’ feel, a shared vision and shared values
- Leading the implementation of new contracts under the Young Person’s Guarantee in five regions worth £21m
Hilary has extensive experience across the public, private and third sectors. She has over 20 years experience in developing and implementing plans for strategic growth, diversification and change in the UK and internationally. Hilary has been working as an interim manager and consultant for over four years and has successfully led multi-disciplinary teams to enter new markets, improve performance, achieve greater impact and reduce costs.
Hilary's key achievements include:
- Devising and implementing successful diversification and growth plans for public, private and third sector organisations in the UK and internationally
- Developing a successful market entry strategy for Australia, resulting in securing contracts worth $33m
- Managing government and stakeholder relationships at the highest political level
- Leading a successful tender to win £2m in WorldBank Funds for a management development programme in Ethiopia
Allan has over 35 years experience of delivery and management in Probation. He is a highly skilled manager, with extensive experience in configuring criminal justice services in community settings. Allan has enhanced reputational standing for Probation Trusts with HM Inspectorate and Ministry of Justice through his assurance process and redesign of practice and operations. He is a keen supporter of partnership working and a passionate advocate for improved public services and has worked in communities and prisons delivering public protection and reduced reoffending.
Allan’s key achievements include:
- Supporting a successful Ministry of Justice Transforming Rehabilitation submission
- Assessing Accredited Programme delivery processes across five Probation Trusts in the North West
- A long and sustained record of leading operational teams in community and custodial settings to maximum effect.
- Demonstrable and proven history of targeted commissioning to provide better for less.
- Investigating high profile cases and inquiries
- Key member of Safeguarding, Child and Public Protection Panels
Colin has worked in the public and private sector for over 35 years, leading services that help people to improve their lives. His expertise is derived from his understanding of people and organizations and his knowledge of how interactions influence the success of work operations. Colin has the ability to analyse situations and data in a structured manner and devise and implement pragmatic and successful business solutions that lead to improvements in performance, productivity and the quality of work. He is particularly interested in using Total Quality Management techniques to focus on Continuous Improvement and is a trained Team Leader using the European Foundation for Quality Management assessment model.
Colin has international consulting experience across the UK, Europe and the Middle East and has led employment focused operations for a number of international organizations. His achievements include:
- Implementing a performance improvement programme for a Saudi Arabian based contact centre that resulted in productivity levels doubling within three months
- Heading the market entry for an International Organization into a new country, winning the first welfare to work contract for that organization in the Middle East
- Leading a team of 200 staff to become the best performing prime contract in a UK based welfare to work organization
- Successfully negotiating the award of a £25m European Social Fund contract with the Wales European Funding Office
Bill is a highly experienced justice professional, with senior roles as CEO of probation areas, Regional Offender Manager and through various high level secondments to the Ministry of Justice. Underpinning all of his work is a firm commitment to valuing equality, diversity and promoting inclusion, creating an environment where all can feel valued, talents are fully utilised and agency goals met.
Throughout his career Bill has been instrumental in leading a number of national transformation programmes and initiatives. He has been centrally involved with the current Transforming Rehabilitation Agenda, having scoped this within MoJ and successfully implementing it as CEO for the 4th largest Probation Community Rehabilitation Company in the UK. Bill has also contributed to international work; helping establish the Turkish Probation Service.
Some of Bill’s achievements include:
- Responsibility for transitioning all Probation Areas to Trust status
- Commissioner with contract oversight of pooled budgets worth £50m as North-West Regional Offender Manager
- Influential strategist as Chair of Local Criminal Justice Boards, Police and Crime Commissioner and other partnership groups
- Successful implementation of a National Offender Assessment and Case Recording systems across prisons and probation to over 18,000 staff
- 2015 Stonewall Award, where Bill's probation CRC was ranked 29th in the Top 100 UK Employers for its work with gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgendered groups.
Aaron is an influential Associate Director with a wealth of international experience and a sustained record of success in the Private, Public and Third sector. He has an extensive background in skills, welfare to work and employment provision organisations, leading tenders and securing government contracts against fierce competition. A pragmatic leader and trusted team player who, through a collaborative approach, creates robust strategies to translate vision into achievements. Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills with a passion for making a difference, together with excellent communication skills.
Some of Aaron's key achievements include:
- Hosted Australian training and employment services company to Saudi Arabia to scope and introduce them to the Saudi government and support services
- Successfully led a major re structure of a charity organisation (CSV) to achieve an effective merger of five stand alone entities into one national organisation. This resulted in significant operational savings of circa £100K and improved regulatory compliance with OFSTED
- Personally advised and consulted with the Government of Ireland to tender for employment services, previously only delivered by public sector organisations. This resulted in awarding contracts of up to $70 Million over a five year period
Harry is an experienced researcher and analyst. He has worked across a number of high profile projects in the welfare to work sector both in the UK and Saudi Arabia. Harry has also gained strong experience in the criminal justice sector, playing an integral role in a successful bid team during the Ministry of Justice’s Transforming Rehabilitation procurement process. Prior to joining PublicCo, Harry completed internships with two charities, Toynbee Hall and the African Prisons Project, focusing on public policy and communications. He has a bachelor’s degree in Economics and an MA in Global Development and the International Political Economy.
Harry’s key achievements include:
- Leading on research and providing reports to enable our client to write a successful evidence-based bid, resulting in securing a £200m contract
- Working in Saudi Arabia to write an Operations Manual for the Ministry of Labor. The manual is being used to provide guidance to organisations delivering employment services under the Taqat Job Placement Centre program
Taha is a highly capable researcher and analyst. He has worked on high profile skills projects, playing important roles in both the operational and policy workstreams of a non-governmental organisation. A Philosophy, Politics and Economics graduate from the University of Durham, Taha has completed complex research projects across areas such as development economics and foreign policy. Taha is adept at both qualitative and quantitative analysis and presenting information in a concise, informative, evidence-based and relevant format.
Colette brings extensive knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative research methods to her role at PublicCo and has strong analytical capabilities. Colette also has front line experience of the employment and skills sectors. Prior to joining PublicCo, Colette worked at a Richmond Fellowship employment support service for people with mental ill health. During her time there she updated many of the service’s systems, and improved the commercial viability of the service’s operations.
Colette's key achievements include:
- providing research and analysis for a report on the UK Skills market
- assisting in the planning and design of a training course for college governors